PurposePeriodically, your CRM (system of record) may have new field values added to it, so you will need to "refresh" those values in SupportLogic. Additionally, you can mask field values, combine multiple values into one and can make configuration changes as to how fields will appear within SupportLogic.
SummaryRefreshing field values within SupportLogic is a simple process and can literally be completed with the click of one button. However, this article covers additional options for field mapping, adding and deleting fields in addition to the refresh process.
Control Center > Settings > Fields
This area is normally reserved for those responsible for your SupportLogic instance as any changes made in this section impact the application globally for all users. Instructions in this article apply both to Case and Customer fields within SupportLogic.
Within the Fields section under Settings, you can:
- Refresh the list of values for each field based on the data in your CRM, given a one or two year time frame
- Add or Delete fields synchronized with your CRM (system of record)
- Mask field names as they appear in SupportLogic
- Configure each field:
- to appear in Dynamic Filters throughout the interface
- enable users to edit the values of these fields that are then synchronized back to your CRM (if bi-directional updates have been configured)
- to be "reportable" within Operational Metrics
Refreshing Field Values from Your CRM
When your instance of SupportLogic is configured, the implementation team connects to your CRM, also referred to as the 'System of Record', and queries the list of values for any and all fields synchronized with SupportLogic. Over time your CRM may have new field values introduced or field names may have changed, etc.
Two options you have for field refresh:
- Last Refresh - this will start the process of refreshing all fields in the system automatically from top to bottom.
Last Refresh is specific to either Case or Customer fields. You must execute a separate Last Refresh if you wish to update both.
- Refresh (values for one field) - use If there are specific changes that you may need to make based on changes in your CRM. Each field will indicate the time it was last refreshed.
After you click on "Refresh all values" for a specific field, SupportLogic will display an updated table of field values from your CRM. You can mask these in the SupportLogic interface by updating the Your Label for any of the values for this field.
Creating a Field Value Alias
There may be times when the list of values coming from your CRM should be shortened for usability within SupportLogic. It is easy for you to take multiple values coming from your CRM and link them together using an Alias. For example:
The image below shows that there are two separate versions of the Fedora Operating System Versions: Heisenbug and Leonidas for the field sl_version_c. The Fedora OS is not common for our product and has relatively few issues. Also, we know that the two versions behave the same and have not found any differences between the two after several years of working on them.
So, we will create an Alias of the two versions values coming from our CRM and consolidate them into one in SupportLogic: Fedora. To do so:
- Complete a Refresh from your CRM to make sure you have all the current values available
- Once completed, update the Your Label entry for all versions of the Fedora OS to be identical
- SupportLogic will display a bracket to the left of the linked field values
- You can manually resequence the list of values that will appear in the UI by rearranging their order
Within the SupportLogic UI, when a user applies the Version filter from anywhere in SupportLogic, they will now see only "Fedora" as an option. See image below from the Console page:
Configuring Fields in the SupportLogic UI
In addition to the masking of values, linking values to consolidate entries in the various filters in SupportLogic you can also make the following configuration changes by toggle the switches for the following columns:
- Show in Filters - turns on or off the ability to use this field within Dynamic or Global Filters
- Allow to Edit - only available if you have bi-directional synchronization with your CRM
- Operational Metrics - turns on or off access to use this field within Analytics > Operational Metrics charts and graphs
How to change the Display Name on Custom Fields
In the field page of the admin settings there's a field name property for each custom field. When you hover your mouse over the field you'll see a pencil icon, which if you click on will allow you to edit the field name's value. Once you save the change users will just need to refresh their browser to see the updated label.
Deleting / Removing a Field
There may be scenarios where you don't need a field visible anywhere on the UI for various reasons. We can remove or delete a particular field from Control Center > Settings > Fields. Locate the field that you wanted to remove/delete from the SupportLogic UI, hover over the mouse on the field and you should see an "X" at the end of the line. Click on it to remove the field.
Removing the field from within Settings > Fields page will only remove it from SupportLogic UI, however the data for this field will still be ingested into SL and will be available anytime for the admins to configure it to show up on UI again.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article